Monday, February 15, 2016

6 to 26

I'm sure I have shown off my giraffe drawing from when I was 6 years old multiple times before. It may be one of my favorite pieces I have ever created. I still remember sitting in front of the T.V. watching my favorite show at the time called Pappy Drewit. A wonderful show that had the goal to teach children to draw. (Later at Pratt, I actually got the chance to meet Pappy Drewit! I showed him my little masterpiece and he signed my sketchbook next to a printed copy of my giraffe.) I also remember how proud I was of my drawing, and running outside with my computer paper piece flapping in my hand as I ran to my dad to show it off. For my seventh birthday my mom put it in a little frame and I was so proud.

Anyway, I've been trying to paint more lately and brush up on my watercolor skills. I couldn't decide what I wanted to paint and as I was searching through old photos I came across my lovely giraffe again. Immediately I was inspired to create a similar piece just... 20 years later. Some responses I received on Facebook were encouraging and positive. But one that stood out was a comical post from a close friend stating "Sam, have you been trying to out do yourself since you were 6? Great job!"

No comments:

Post a Comment